Senior Back-End Java Developer
Effective Date: Now
AODocs is a software company created in 2012 that makes a Content Services SaaS platform. It is included by Gartner (in its Magic Quadrant) and Forrester (in its Wave) as one of the top and most innovative players in the content services space, among a sea of very old non-cloud competitors like IBM Filenet and OpenText that are approaching end of life and thus setting us for a large growth opportunity. We are Google partners and Google is our customer.
Our product is used by over 500 large organizations such as PwC, Colgate, Whirlpool, Solvay, Air Liquide, and Google itself to control their sensitive documents and automate critical business processes. Our addressable market just got multiplied by 20 as AODocs - which was originally made for Google Workspace only - just became compatible with Microsoft Office. Our product runs at the heart of the business of multi-billion dollar companies!
We are based in Paris, Atlanta, Milan and San Francisco. Our team is over 100 strong, composed of highly motivated and competent people. We believe that good ideas can come from anyone, regardless of their formal job role.
Do you like having some creative freedom where your ideas can be easily discussed and implemented in a small and dynamic company? How about being able to have a high impact on a product with millions of users? Do you like the possibilities offered by new cloud technologies, especially serverless? You’ve knocked at the right door.
We are looking for a highly motivated Backend Engineer to join our growing team! The Backend Engineer is responsible for the end to end development of core parts of our webapps. We expect you to help us take our products and our team to the next technical level and to teach us something we don’t know.
We’re a transparent organization. Important metrics and numbers are communicated to all team members. Decisions are discussed collaboratively, not behind closed doors. If you value being part of the discussions on how to shape the future of the product, by giving your input, weighing in and being heard, then you might just be happy to work with us.
You will report to the Lead Frontend Engineer and work closely with the Product and Backend teams. Sometimes you will work in squads and sometimes you will participate in ad hoc teams meant to quickly address specific matters.
- Implementing substantial features, fixing bugs
- Taking part in the operations team to make sure we do not go below our 99,87% uptime
- Writing technical specifications
- Proactively proposing code and performance improvements
- Helping set and maintain a high professional standard
- Taking part in the breakdown of our monolith and in consequence, become a key actor in the more distributed architecture we are setting in place
- Simplifying the code base
Some examples of what you could work on:
- Build one of the new services we are planning to work on this year. Like the integration with SAP and Salesforce, the extension of our cold storage capacities to AWS s3 and Azure Blob Storage or the inclusion of data centered service to provide OCR and data recognition capabilities to our product.
- Work on the integration with office 365 and other microsoft products such as teams.
- Build the backend part that will allow us to work with encrypted files at rest and in transit.
- Get rid of the remaining bits of GWT. Not much fun but once that key milestone is achieved we will be more free and more agile.
- Reduce our technical legacy, reduce our dependency on appengine, plan the migration toward a more recent version of Java (we run mainly Java 8).
- Improve our search capacities.
- Improve our workflow engine.
- Fix what slows down our release cycle in the code.
Some examples of what we did in the last few months alone:
- Added a new identity system allowing users to connect with Microsoft accounts and soon with “normal” emails and passwords.
- Extended our storage capacity to GCS.
- Built a gmail addon and an outlook addin allowing users to use aodocs without leaving gmail or outlook.
- Finished the Switcher, an automatic migration tool for migrations from Drive to GCS.
- Implemented an object storage service to act as a middle layer between AODocs and any storage we would like to add to it.
Most of those describe you:
- You care more about making reliable software used by many than a shiny unstable thing used by no one. You understand that engineering work is done first and foremost for the customers.
- You care a lot about performance, understand that speed and responsiveness is a core feature
- Fully capable of taking substantial features from concept to shipping as the sole developer
- Deep expertise with at least one programming environment
- You’re a team player
- Experience: 2-8 years as a professional developer on SaaS products and 4+ years experience in a similar role
- Developpment skills: Core development experience in Java technologies. Any experience with Cloud providers is a plus. Being proficient in at least one of the following is a plus: Python, Go, Ruby, C++, C#.
- Development toolkits: good with (but not only) Git (gitflow), Jira, Maven, Jenkins, Intellij, Objectify
- Language: fluent in English
- Writing: you enjoy writing, you care about words and grammar, you are sharp and thorough