Back-End Java Developer
Location: Paris (or remote FRANCE)
Effective Date: Now
We are a SaaS software as a service company, and our content service platform AODocs is used by 500 customers, including large enterprises like Equifax, Solvay or Air Liquide to manage their business critical documents. AODocs ensures that information is easily accessible by the people who need it, while being protected against unauthorized content and human errors, and that business processes are properly followed, with full traceability. For example, AODocs helps Google ensure the design documents of its data centers are properly controlled, accelerating the construction projects while avoiding costly mistakes.
AODocs is a growing and profitable company, recognized (by top analyst firm Gartner, and by its own customers) as one of the most modern solutions in a market populated by legacy, pre-cloud systems like OpenText, IBM Filenet, Hyland and others. This market is now being disrupted by the new generative AI technologies, which allows software to understand the content of a company's documents, and thus to automate tasks that previously required human work, such as document tagging, data extraction from unstructured text, or analysis of complex documents.
We believe the generative AI will dramatically change the way companies create and use their business content, and since the beginning of the year, we have made it a priority to integrate this new technology in our product. The combination of the generative AI capabilities to understand and generate text, with our existing document management and workflow features, enables a large number of high value use cases, from contracts management to RFP responses, audit reports, or recruitment processes.
Our team is made of passionate and dedicated people who love to innovate. We work in a very collaborative and transparent manner: we believe that good ideas can come from anyone, regardless of their formal job role.
Do you like having some creative freedom where your ideas can be easily discussed and implemented in a small and dynamic company? How about being able to have a high impact on a product with millions of users? Do you like the possibilities offered by new cloud technologies, especially serverless? You’ve knocked at the right door.
We are looking for a highly motivated Backend Engineer to join our growing team! The Backend Engineer is responsible for the end to end development of core parts of our webapps. We expect you to help us take our products and our team to the next technical level and to teach us something we don’t know.
We’re a transparent organization. Important metrics and numbers are communicated to all team members. Decisions are discussed collaboratively, not behind closed doors. If you value being part of the discussions on how to shape the future of the product, by giving your input, weighing in and being heard, then you might just be happy to work with us.
You will work closely with the Product and Frontend teams, sometimes in squads, and with ad hoc teams meant to quickly address specific matters.
- Implementing substantial features, fixing bugs
- Taking part in the operations team to make sure we do not go below our 99,87% uptime
- Writing technical specifications
- Proactively proposing code and performance improvements
- Helping set and maintain a high professional standard
- Taking part in the breakdown of our monolith and in consequence, become a key actor in the more distributed architecture we are setting in place
Some examples of what you could work on:
- Build one of the new services we are planning to work on this year. Like the integration with SAP and Salesforce, the extension of our cold storage capacities to AWS s3 and Azure Blob Storage or the inclusion of data centered service to provide OCR and data recognition capabilities to our product.
- Work on the integration with office 365 and other microsoft products such as Teams.
- Build the backend part that will allow us to work with encrypted files at rest and in transit.
- Reduce our technical legacy, reduce our dependency on appengine, plan the migration toward a more recent version of Java (we run mainly Java 8).
- Improve our search capacities.
- Improve our workflow engine.
- Fix what slows down our release cycle in the code.
Some examples of what we did in the last few months alone:
- Added a new identity system allowing users to connect with Microsoft accounts and soon with “normal” emails and passwords.
- Extended our storage capacity to GCS.
- Built a gmail addon and an outlook addin allowing users to use aodocs without leaving gmail or outlook.
- Finished the Switcher, an automatic migration tool for migrations from Drive to GCS.
- Implemented an object storage service to act as a middle layer between AODocs and any storage we would like to add to it.
Most of those describe you:
- You care more about making reliable software used by many than a shiny unstable thing used by no one. You understand that engineering work is done first and foremost for the customers.
- You care a lot about performance, understand that speed and responsiveness is a core feature
- Fully capable of taking substantial features from concept to shipping as the sole developer
- Deep expertise with at least one programming environment
- You’re a team player
- Experience: 8 years as a professional developer on SaaS products
- Development skills: Core development experience in Java technologies. Any experience with Cloud providers is a plus. Being proficient in at least one of the following is a plus: Python, Go, Ruby, C++, C#.
- Development toolkits: good with (but not only) Git (gitflow), Jira, Maven, Jenkins, Intellij, Objectify
- Language: English and French at professional level