Dear AODocs users,
As you may know, to use the “Edit in Office” feature, users need to have a piece of software installed on their local computer. We call this software the “WebDAV client”, named after the WebDAV protocol used by Microsoft Office and other applications to open files from AODocs. When you click on the “Edit in Word / Excel / Powerpoint” button in the AODocs Smartbar, the Chrome browser retrieves the file’s URL from AODocs and sends it to the WebDAV client on your local computer. The WebDAV client is responsible for launching the corresponding application (Word, Excel, Powerpoint or others). For security reasons, Google Chrome does not allow a Web page or a Chrome extension to directly start an application on your computer.
In order to improve this feature and allow our users to open more file formats with a larger number of different applications (MS Visio, MS Projects, Open Office, and more), we need to update the WebDAV client. The new version of the WebDAV client is available here:
We will progressively push this new version to end users in the coming months:
- Today, the Smartbar works with both versions of the WebDAV client. It is transparent for end-users. This behaviour will remain the same with the 3.4 version of the Smartbar (next version, coming soon).
- In the 3.5 version of the Smartbar (2 versions into the future), we will prompt the users to upgrade their WebDAV client the first time they use this feature after the Smartbar has been updated – the old client will still work if they do not update
- In the 4.0 version of the Smartbar (3 versions into the future), we will prompt the users to change version each time they use this feature – the old client will still work if they don’t update
- In the 4.1 version of the Smartbar (4 versions into the future), we will no longer support the old version – the old client will no longer work if they don’t update
Please find below some information about how to deploy this new version in a smooth and easy way.
If the users of your domain are administrators of their computer
If your end users can install the software they want on their computers and have the Smartbar installed, then you have several ways to manage this upgrade:
- You can decide to do nothing: in that case, as described above, your end users will be prompted by the Smartbar to update their client.
- You can decide to send them the link to the new version: this way, if they update immediately, they will never see the Smartbar message asking them to update their client.
- You can decide to force the update on your users’ computers: see the section “If the users of your domain are not administrators of their computer”
If the users of your domain are not administrators of their computer
- If your end users cannot install the software they want on their computers, then you will have to use a managed deployment of this new version.
- If your users are running under Windows, we advise you to perform the deployment by GPO.
Do not hesitate to contact the AODocs support team if you have any question.
Want to try AODocs? Click below to get started.